Did you know that, despite popular belief, a mindful text message a day, can actually help couples become and remain closer? With that being said, let me qualify and "tweek" this statement- When I say a mindful text, I do not mean:
- What do you want for dinner? or What are you cooking for dinner?
- What time do the kids have to be at that place?
- I need you to pick up milk and bread (if you are lucky, a "please" is included in this text).
- Don't forget to pay the electric bill
When I say a mindful text I mean:
- You are a great person!
- I love you very much
- Have a great day at work!
- I am so lucky to have you in my life!
These and other simple text messages sent and received between a couple can make all of the difference. When we are consciously aware of the good that our partner does, we are able to focus on the positive (even if it is not always present, let's face it, being with another person is tough business). We help the other person to feel loved, appreciated, wanted and cared about- basic human needs! So, even though life is busy and chaotic and often stressful, taking five minutes out of our day to tell those that we love and admire how much we appreciate and care for them, can changes us on so many levels, Here are some tips on doing this:
1. Send your partner or significant other a text when you wake up in the morning, make it a routine!
2. If you can't remember or get "bogged down" with work or something else, set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you to send a quick text with nice words.
3. You can write your text message at one time and schedule delivery for a different time (shhh, this one might get me in trouble!)
All it takes is 5 minutes a day and you become more intentional and mindful with your significant other, the results may not be noted at first but it is good karma and good energy that you are sending out into the universe!
Need some inspiration? Check out this list of 30 affirmations that are quick and easy to remember! If these seem a little "cheesy" for your taste, no worries, just adapt them to your personality. Have fun with them and remember that intentionality helps you move closer to your partner
1) Thanks for being a great person!
2) I’m glad you’re my friend.
3) You’re a great (are going to be a great) parent!
4) Thanks so much for fixing that!
5) I really appreciate you.
6) When you listened to me, you made me feel loved.
7) You are my man!
8) You are my protector.
9) You are awesome!
10) Hey, do you have any plans later?
11) I respect you so much.
12) Thanks for working so hard.
13) You’re an excellent provider.
14) You make me feel like a Lady.
15) I love being with you.
16) You’re so smart.
17) You’re amazing!
18) Thank you, that was really kind.
19) You’re so strong.
20) You’re a hard worker.
21) You know how to make me happy!
22) When you hold me tight, I feel safe with you.
23) I like you.
24) I love your sense of humor.
25) Thanks for the date . . . I enjoyed being with you.
26) Thank you for thinking of me.
27) You’re so considerate.
28) You’re a great lover.
29) I’ll always stand by your side.
30) Your secrets are safe with me.
31) I’m yours.
Samantha is a bilingual Board Certified and Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counseor who specializes in working with couples and families who have experienced a form of trauma or are experiencing difficulties within their relationships. She uses her own authentic perspective and realistic views on relationships- all with her unique sense of humor and kind understanding of daily struggles.
800 W. Williams Street
Apex, NC 27502